The Reasonable Man

I had finally become a reasonable man. My journey of becoming a good man was accompanied by events that could annihilate me, but I turned my failure into motivation.

In September 1985, I put the final nail in the coffin when I invited "The White Lady" (Ms. Free Base-Crack Cocaine).
I was willing to do anything for that monstrous first high.


The Reasonable Man

I was on my worst behavior, which was the lowest part of life when I was residing in Gaithersburg, Maryland. I was not performing frequently. I was doing forbidden things, and I didn't even realize that my career was on stake. I used to travel state-to-state for the smuggling of cocaine.

My life flipped when one night, I was picking up and dropping off a package of cocaine, and the involved person got killed. Even though I had nothing to do with his death but the police found my number in his pocket. So after 19 days, I was charged with an atrocious crime of murder. However, I had pleaded to the allegations of theft and robbery. I was sentenced for four years, suspended for 18 months, and was bound to spend three years of supervised probation in a local pre-release center (PRC). When I arrived there, my supervisor tested me by sending me to put gas in his car. I'm glad that I made the right decision and didn't deceive him.
I come from humble beginnings, and I thank my mother and grandparents for teaching me things like cooking and barbering. These skills proved beneficial for me in that period. After returning, I was allowed to continue barbering, and I was made to cook for at least 60 days. My fellows and supervisors loved my cooking. Everybody at the release center treated me with love and compassion. Their loving gestures instilled hope in myself, and I had quenched the belief in myself, which had run dry. I knew I needed to become a better man now. I was allowed to go home after 60 days. However, I had to provide the contact number and address where I was spending my weekend.
My wife has been my faithful companion in both good and bad times. She has stuck with me through thick and thin. I've been married to her for more than 28 years, and we know each other for more than 40 years. I was her first boyfriend. I'm proud of her and our children, and most importantly, I'm more than grateful for a beautiful family that has my back. I stayed with them on the weekends as my mother was too afraid to let me stay at her place as the mob might be looking for me there.
Because of my good behavior, I was allowed to work in the daytime too. I knew the owner of Eyre Bus service, so I started riding his school from Monday to Friday. Working on weekdays and spending quality time with my family on weekends made me feel content and happy. It's been 35 years, and I'm still a part-time bus driver. I'm delighted to have a peaceful life where I have a beautiful family and flexible work.
I joined the Mount Gregory United Methodist Church in Cooksville, Maryland, and stated the youth choir there while I was in PRC. This church was special to me as it was my family church.
My life choices may not appear ideal for a lot of people, but I have no regrets. If I didn't make those choices, I would not be here living my best life. In 1985, I could have chosen to let myself stay devastated, but I decided to walk on God's path. He blessed my life when I found him, and he proved to be my faithful companion.

Comments

Popular Article

Food is a powerful cultural signifier 2